Monday, June 29, 2009

June Twenty-Fourth 09

Very good show this week. I had the opportunity to see Ted Leo and the Pharmacists as well as Titus Andronicus at Toad's Place. Went with Steve (DJ on after me, I don't have a link) as well as Chelsea. We met up with several other WHUS staffers including Derek of WHUS' "Der Ohrwurm", and Stephanie and Meghana of their currently untitled program. Ted and Titus proved once again, the power of Garden State rock and/or roll musics. Needless to say, a good time was had by all.

I was lucky enough to score an interview with the dudes from Titus Andronicus. I sat down with Patrick Stickles (gtr, vox, lyrics, and probably some other stuff) for a solid 30 minutes, talking about Jersey (Maxwell's, Ramapo College), Ted Leo passing the torch, van mishaps, and all other kinds of good shit. I whittled our conversation down to about 25 minutes, and if anyone knows a place where I can host it online, give me a shout. I'd love to get it out there. I also sat down briefly with Ian Graetzer (bass), Eric Harm (drums), and Liam Betson (gtr, and I think backing vox) and we basically covered the same shit. 'Twas good.

The interviews took up almost half the show, so not a whole lot of tunes this week, but still more than enough to keep you, the loyal listener (reader?) satisfied. Unfortunately, I did forget the 7" and the live LP i picked up from Titus Andronicus after the show, which kind of killed my idea to play that stuff. Oh well, there's always next show. Anyway, let's take a look, shall we?

** = new

#. title - artist - album - label - year (this is specific or vague as the information I have at hand)

1. You Go On Ahead (Trumpet Trumpet II) - Sunset Rubdown - Dragonslayer - Jagjaguwar **
2. Hot On Your Heels - Mint Chicks - PDX Pop Now! 2009 **

3. Slushy - The Vaselines - Enter the Vaselines - Sub Pop **
4. Jack Nance Hair - Comet Gain - Broken Record Prayers - What's Your Rupture? **
5. No Home - The Ettes - Danger Is - Take Root **
6. Ghosts - The Ettes - Shake the Dust - Sympathy for the Record Industry - 2006
7. Prizefighter - Eels - Hombre Lobo: 12 Songs of Desire - Vagrant **

8. Can't Keep Time - Foreign Born - Person to Person - Secretly Canadian **
9. I Was Born (A Unicorn) - The Unicorns - Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone? - Alien8 - 2003
10. When I Died - The Thermals - We Were Sick - Kill Rock Stars **
11. Walkin' Blue - Sonic Youth - The Eternal - Matador **
12. Sons of Cain - Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - Living with the Living - Touch and Go - 2007

Patrick Stickles interview

13. Albert Camus - Titus Andronicus - The Airing of Grievances - XL - 2009

Band Interview

14. Country Wide - Liam the Younger - Summertime Showcase 2009 - Underwater Peoples **
15. Waking Up Drunk - Spider Bags - A Celebration of Hunger - Birdman - 2007
16. Crazy Rhythms - The Feelies - Crazy Rhythms - 1980

17. All the Time - Vivian Girls - Vivian Girls - In the Red - 2008

No comments: