Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Old playlist: June 17th 2009 (Extra Innings)

Ah yes. I was lucky enough to catch Mika Miko, the Strange Boys, the Coathangers, Fiasco, and the Germs M.I.A. (who's music was more reminiscent of the LA band The Germs than M.I.A. but kind of sucked anyway...) at the Market Hotel in Brooklyn on June 13th. Good show, unfortunately because of how late the show started, I only got to see the first few songs from Mika Miko before I had to catch my train back to CT. Fiasco, a band native to Brooklyn went on second and played some pretty cool guitar heavy rock with solos and fretboard tapping all over the place. The Coathangers played next, who I have to say, and were probably my favorite of the bands we saw. I didn't expect them to be bad or anything, but they definitely met and exceeded my expectations. Great set. A lot of energy, a lot of instrument switching (the girl who started out on gtr/vox moved to drums before the night was over. The girl who started on drums also provided some gtr, bass, and vox, and the bassplayer switched to guitar for a song or two), balloon tossing, beer drinking, and some fire. The girl who started on drums (I'm not familiar enough with them to know them by first name) took her shirt off, accidentally threw it on a light and ended up having to stomp the fire out, leaving maybe half of her shirt. Considering it was a t-shirt with the midriff and sleeves cut off, she had maybe a quarter of a shirt left overall. The Strange Boys did a jam-packed set including a CCR cover. I did a short interview (maybe 6 or 7 minutes) with Ryan Sambol of the Strange Boys before the show. We talked about their touring history, meeting up with Mika Miko, and the new album they hope to have out in early 2010. Unfortunately, the audio wasn't too hot (a mix of me talking too loud, and Ryan speaking very softly) so I doubt I'll post it here (f I get a request for it, I might). Steve was a little late too, so in addition to the interview, I got an extra 25 minutes or so to play some stuff off of some records I recently purchased. So here's the playlist:

** = new

#. title - artist - album - label - year (this is specific or vague as the information I have at hand)

1. Dragon's Lair - Sunset Rubdown - Dragonslayer - Jagjaguwar **
2. Over It - Dinosaur Jr - Farm - Jagjaguwar **

3. Straight Into a Storm - Deer Tick - Born on Flag Day - Partisan **
4. Love Like a Sunset Part 1 - Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix - Glassnote **
5. Love Like a Sunset Part 2 - Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix - Glassnote **
6. Gamma Ray - Jay Reatard - Gamma Ray 7" [Beck] - Interscope - 2008
7. My Baby Wants Me Dead - Vivian Girls - Wild Eyes 7" - Plays With Dolls - 2008

8. Totion - Mika Miko - We Be Xuxa - Post Present Medium **
9. Time Passing - The Coathangers - Scramble - Suicide Squeeze - 2009

Ryan Sambol of the Strange Boys interview

10. Should Have Show Paul - Strange Boys - And Girls Club - In the Red - 2009
11. MLKs - Strange Boys - And Girls Club - In the Red - 2009

12. Useful Chambers - Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca - Domino **
13. Fine for Now - Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest - Warp **
14. Naoka's F - Syclops - I've Got My Eye on You - DFA - 2008
15. 5 Out - Syclops - I've Got My Eye on You - DFA - 2008

16. I Heard it Through the Grapevine - Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory - 1970

17. White Wife - Mi Ami - Watersports - Quarterstick - 2009
18. Dusk - Pocahaunted [w/ Bobb Bruno and Cameron Stallones] - Passage - Troubleman Unlimited **
19. Veil - Pocahaunted [w/ Bobb Bruno and Cameron Stallones] - Passage - Troubleman Unlimited **

No comments: