Wednesday, July 30, 2008

July 23 2008: Stormy High

This is the show where I reported about the goings-on in New York the previous weekend (Teddy Rockstar, Siren, and the Fuck Buttons/Liars show at McCarren pool). To sum it up, Ted Leo was great, Beach House floored two of my friends (and myself), I like the Annuals set, Times New Viking were pretty good, Jaguar Love sucked, and Broken Social Scene wasn't bad. Fuck Buttons were real cool. It was good to know the Thurston Moore school of Playskool toys as instruments isn't dead. Finally, Liars blew me away. I was never the biggest fan of them, I first heard them in their dance-punk days of the early '00s, when I was fervently opposed to the notion of dance-punk. Needless to say, someone should have told me the switched over to experimental rock. I feel left out. At the end of the show I considered myself a fan.

1. Jager Yoga - CSS - Donkey - Sub Pop, CD, 2008 *
2. Ghosts - Ladytron - Velocifero - Nettwerk, CD, 2008 *
3. Triceratops (Acid Girls RMX B) - Health - Health//Disco - Love Pump, CD, 2008 *
4. Hercules Theme - Hercules and Love Affair - Hercules and Love Affair - Mute/DFA, CD, 2008 *

5. Slapped Actress - The Hold Steady - Stay Positive - Vagrant, CD, 2008 *
6. La Costa Brava - Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - Living with the Living - Touch and Go, CD, 2007
7. Shim Sham - Imperial Teen - The Hair the TV the Baby and the Band - Merge, CD, 2007
8. Fuzzy Reactor - Boris and Michio Kurihara - Rainbow - Drag City, CD, 2007
9. Sailing to Byzantium - Liars - Liars - Mute, CD, 2007
10. Sueisfine - My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything - Sire, CD, 1988
11. Doves - Black Angels - Directions to See a Ghost - Light in the Attic, CD, 2008 *
12. Alphabet - The Notwist - The Devil, You, + Me - Domino, CD, 2008 *

13. Prelude to 110 or 220/Women of the World - Jim O'Rourke - Eureka - Drag City, CD, 1999
14. Don't Have to Be So Sad - Yo La Tengo - Summer Sun - Matador, CD, 2003
15. Our Cavalcade of Sightless Riders - Harris Newman - Strange Attractions, CD, 2007


16. Bad Kids - Black Lips - Good Bad Not Evil - Vice, CD, 2007
17. You Will Fail - Digital Leather - Sorcerer - Goner, CD, 2008 *
18. Lantern Lights - Abe Vigoda - Skeleton - Post Present, CD, 2008 *
19. Tyrants - Black Mountain - In the Future - Jagjaguwar, CD, 2008
20. Audience - Dirty on Purpose - Like Bees EP - North Street, CD, 2008 *

21. Leave Me Alone - New Order - Power, Corruption, & Lies - Factory, CD, 1983

No comments: